I watched 127 Hours last night (see the trailer), the movie based on the story of Aron Ralston. It was beautiful and emotionally compelling and well worth a watch. I'll admit, I watched through my fingers during the actual amputation scene. I'm so impressed by Ralston and what he was driven to do, and I think James Franco portrayed him well. As a fun bit of trivia about Franco and the film, he said in an (audio) NPR interview from October (replayed in February) that he hid textbooks under the boulder to study between setups, and that helped him stay sane in such an isolated situation.
Here's an inspiring (text) interview with the real Ralston that I found this morning when I wanted to know more about the real story. He describes his journey over the past several years and the reasons that drove him to escape: love and freedom.
I don't know that I'll ever be an outdoor adventurer like him, but his passion for life is so inspiring. I'd rather not end up in such an extremely dangerous, painful situation as he did, but it makes me wonder if I should start taking calculated risks to a lesser degree. Maybe I could have a slightly greater appetite for adventure than I do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment