Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summertime and the Reading Is Easy

If you've known me for very long, you know I generally consider myself an avid reader. From the day I read my first Little Golden Book, I was off to the races. I read and reread many books as a teen.

The older I've gotten and the more responsibilities I've had, the harder it's been to find the time and attention span to read for enjoyment. I suppose reading blogs has filled up some of that space, mentally and in my schedule. As of today, my Google Reader Trends page said "Since December 5, 2006 you have read a total of 66,660 items." I had no idea it was that much; but, to be accurate, I haven't actually read every single one of those posts in depth. I also just unsubscribed to twenty blogs that had been inactive for over two years.

I was starting to worry I was losing my appetite for reading fiction on a large scale, but as of the past few weeks, I'm back! I finished three novels in one series (and have the fourth on hold at the library). I started a new mystery series too, the first two books of which were given to me by a book-loving friend. I'm also reading the War of Art, a nonfiction book about overcoming the resistance to create.

I'm not sure why my passion for reading has suddenly been renewed. Maybe it's because summertime and reading just go together. Maybe it's because my friends and co-workers know me well enough to recommend stories I'll connect with. Either way, I'm happy to be filling my mind with new ideas, plots, and characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment