Sunday, February 21, 2010

words, computer problems, and discoveries

I want my life and my creative work to be like a powerful song. I want it to connect with people, evoke their emotions, and inspire them to forward movement. Which makes it worth it to put in the time and effort to build the skills and nuances of the craft.

The rest of this post is a little more "week in the life of..." I had a really productive few hours writing Saturday night (a.k.a. early Sunday morning). This makes me happy. I will have to follow it up with writing more pages in the evenings this week.

About a week and a half ago, my (now former) computer power cord died of old age. I hear it often happens to that brand of ac adapters. I was worried. I couldn't really use my computer over last weekend. I didn't increase my word count one bit. But, on the other hand, it was (begrudgingly) nice to have a forced break from the multitasking. And last Tuesday I was finally able to procure a working new adapter from a local computer store, Simplified Computers. They were so helpful, and I didn't have to worry about the cord getting lost in the mail like I would if I had ordered it from Dell.

I think one of the reasons I enjoy hanging out with my year-old nephew so much is that he's exploring and learning everything for the first time. He shares his pure joy and enthusiasm with everyone around him. He invites you to be excited about the same things he is. For not speaking in words yet, he's a very effective communicator. I'm grateful I get to live right down the street from them right now.

It's one day closer to spring. I can't wait until April and May.

4 comments:

  1. My power cord died recently too!! But I think that's because I was huddled too close to heater and it melted ;) I can't wait for spring either! I feel like I'm almost always cold in the winter :p And playing outside is getting better as the weather gets warmer!!

    I like your philosophy on writing, too. Song is great analogy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! yes, I finally got a new power cord. I hope you did too.

    Thanks! I'm glad the analogy worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realise you had moved down the road from Zach and Michelle. How fun for you - I love being close to my nieces. They just bless my heart! I liked your Good Reads widget, so I stole your idea and added it to my blog! :) Have been getting back into blogging lately and reading others' blogs. Tis fun. :) Just letting you know you have another reader again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, thanks for the comment! Yes, I love living close to them! It's been a little over a year now.

    ReplyDelete