Tuesday, March 4, 2008

time passes, and my thoughts on a bestseller

Clearly I am long overdue on an update. The most action this site has seen lately is items on my twitter or blogroll feeds. The end of January and most of February were really busy, but not in a bad way. Just in a way that apparently lowered blogging on my list of priorities.

I finally finished reading Eat, Pray, Love last week. It was a fascinating journey, and I would probably recommend it. I think I enjoyed the segments on Italy and Indonesia better than India. Elizabeth Gilbert is clearly a skilled writer, and had an interesting year of experiences. But it also concerned me to read it. I think she was genuinely asking the right questions, but I wonder if she was more in search of a spiritual experience than the truth necessarily. Just a thought I had. I admire the discipline and initiative she took to change her life, but it saddens me that she went through all that and doesn't seem to know who God really is, unless I misunderstood. Her religion or philosophy seems more pantheistic than I am personally comfortable with. I wonder what it means about our culture in general and how people are or aren't experiencing God. That's my review in 200 words or less :).

It's finally March. I feel like this winter has been one of the worst in my experience, at least as far as total precipitation. Though I think the weather forecasts tend to make it sound worse than it actually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment