On Careful Eating Choices
I'm still generally eating healthier than I was a year ago, but my close adherence to the South Beach Diet has lapsed somewhat. Don't get me wrong, I'm still usually choosing whole-grain bread/rice/pasta products and limiting my intake of actual sugar and high-fructose corn syrup. I don't keep soda in the house usually, but I wished I had some root beer to go with the leftovers I ate for lunch, even if it had been artificially sweetened. In general, I could probably be eating more vegetables and fruits and fewer desserts and snacks, low-sugar or high-fiber though they may be. I actually care about the nutrients I'm missing, so maybe I should return to being a bit more strategic about my dietary habits before the holiday eating events start accumulating.
On Parties and Downtime
I ended up being invited to two Halloween parties last weekend; one was a costume party and the other wasn't. (I went as Penny from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog to the first.)
![]() | ![]() |
I've said before that I'm introvert, and it couldn't be more true. But I was surprised by how much fun I had at both parties. I met some new people, reconnected with some old friends, and enjoyed the weekend. I went into the second party only knowing one person, and came home with a few new acquaintances. I'm cautiously optimistic that my conversational skills are getting stronger. I genuinely had a fun time socializing most of the weekend ... but I also felt pretty drained at the end of the day Sunday. I'll admit that I'm happy to have only one social commitment this weekend. It will be fun, but I'm glad I'll also have time do a little bit of recharging and writing.
On Innovators
I just started reading Where Good Ideas Come From, by Steven Johnson. I loved the promo video for it, so I'm looking forward to discovering what the book itself has to say.
I enjoyed watching The Social Network. It was a well-executed movie and it reminded me of how awesome committed entrepreneurs can be. I think Mark Zuckerberg is a genius. He's got skills and a vision for helping people connect (in an innovative way). Also, I have a special place in my heart for people who can code like that. And sometimes I wish I were one of them.
Listening to the real Zuckerberg is so inspiring. I don't think everyone is likely to have that much impact on society, but I do think he's a current example that good things come to people who work hard and follow their passion. I'll leave you with this video from an interview he did this past summer.



No comments:
Post a Comment