Friday, August 14, 2009

A Retrospective Taste of July + August

Beautiful sunny skies. Cold days in the air-conditioned classroom. The Angels/Twins game. 5:00 a.m. nights finishing writing assignments. Sharing laughs over lunches, dinners, and Starbucks runs. The fast pace of the TV Track writer’s room…

I have a lot to reflect on, digest, and incorporate into my life and craft that came out of the past month at Act One. I feel like the experience has added to who I am, and helped me discover who I already was, in an amazing way.

Going in, I knew I identified with their core principles. But I didn’t yet realize to what degree the program was going to provide a community that nurtured, confirmed, and challenged me in my potential as an artist and a person. I’m the same person, but I have a deeper confidence in who I am and the choices, habits, and risks I need to make in order to move forward.

It’s hard to do a rundown report of all the different things we learned in the classroom, considering it was 8+ hours per day, 5 days per week. For now, just know that I have thousands of words in notes taken down, and dozens if not hundreds of movies to watch. It will all contribute to the skills I need as I start putting spec scripts together. It’s only the beginning.

I am overwhelmingly grateful for the things I was taught as well as the people I was able to meet, learn from and with, and create memories together with this summer.

Tears of exhaustion and sadness escaped as my flight [away from L.A.] touched down on Monday. It struck me how much I was going to miss who and what I was flying away from for the time being.

Don’t forget me, Los Angeles. I expect I will see you again.

For now, I'll continue writing and learning the craft.

Note: I may be updating with more snippets about the summer writing program soon. But this is what was on my heart to write today.

No comments:

Post a Comment