Tuesday, September 23, 2008

a succesful roadtrip

This past weekend, a friend and I went to a screenwriting seminar over Friday and part of Saturday. It was a good experience and worth the driving time.

The actual content was similar to what I was taught earlier this summer, and sometimes in less detail. But I think that's reasonable within the time constraints. They did talk about loglines (the 1-sentence story summary) and treatments a little, which was helpful - one thing that wasn't really covered in the August seminar. Some of the speakers have worked in tv, which I was really interested in. To me, the most valuable part was probably to put faces to names of some of the organization's instructors/staff (in case I want to apply for their summer program again), as well as getting the chance to learn more about the industry from people who have been there. And I always love being in the writing conference environment with people who have similar goals, interests, and values to mine (more so than in most groups).

On a less classroom-ish note, it was a pretty successful roadtrip. It was the first time I'd been to that city, first time I've chosen and reserved a hotel stay by myself, and it all turned out fine. My friend and I only got lost briefly because we misinterpreted the Google directions. And that helped us find where our hotel would be that night anyway, so it wasn't a total waste of time. It was nice how close together everything was. But I will say the free continental breakfast wasn't so awesome. Maybe we should have made time to go to Starbucks instead.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I really wonder who came up with the whole continental breakfast thing.. you have to imagine that even a continental breakfast in Europe would be better than the ones we have here! I am totally in agreement with the Starbucks idea.

    So did the conference inspire you to write more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! Totally true about the breakfast.

    Yeah, I'd say it inspired me...but the daily motivation for the non-urgent is the harder part. It's a process.

    ReplyDelete