These are the movies (and books) I always feel like watching (or reading) at this time of year.
Thanksgiving Movies
Pieces of April
As I wrote in my Netflix review, "this was a beautiful, charming, subtle, complex movie. I really enjoyed the experience." For a slice of life movie, this one is tops.
The New World
Maybe it's not completely historically accurate, but it was better and more poignant than I was expecting.
Christmas Movies
The Holiday
Everyone should watch this movie. It’s the story of two women getting outside of their comfort zones and finding healthy-ish relationships. And there are some really great actors in it.
You’ve Got Mail
The whole movie isn’t set at Christmas, but enough of it is to make me want to watch it at Christmastime. Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks are just classic together. And there are books!
Home Alone (the original one)
It’s a tradition! I have memories of watching this with the cousins years ago. And who doesn’t like watching young Macaulay Culkin fight off robbers and fend for himself in Chicago?
(Elf is probably the closest runner up for Christmas movies that comes to mind right now. It's a Wonderful Life used to be in this category but isn't in the top three anymore.)
Bonus picks (Christmas books)
Doomsday Book, Connie Willis
It's set at Christmastime and involves time travel. It’s a very long book but so worth the time.
A Murder for Her Majesty, Beth Hilgartner
YA mystery story set in sixteenth century England.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment