This week, I've been reading Unleashing the Ideavirus by Seth Godin. It's been out for several years, but it took me a while to get my hands on a copy of it. I wonder how his examples and case studies would change for today's culture and market, but overall I find it to be profound and interesting.
Here are a few excerpts that were significant to me:
A challenge to do more than the status quo: "Boring is probably the worst offense. Whether your product is a book, a trading card, a car or even the tag on a bag of tea, boring is the obvious, but wrong solution." (pg 146)
On how to present your product: "It can't possibly attract everyone and offend no one. The very best cover images...break one or more rules of graphic design or industry rules of thumb. They play off existing images but change them in a vital and important way." (pg 146)
How to identify your ideavirus: "As you think about a corporate virus or a personal one, consider: What are you the best or the most at? How can you refine and amplify those traits to create a Wow product...?" (pg 148) This one reminds me of the hedgehog concept from Good to Great, also a really insightful book.
I think these brief segments and the ideas they represent all have multiple applications for my life, and on a wider scope are relevant to the fields I work and dabble in.
I wish more people thought the way Seth Godin does. I'm grateful to be in his audience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment